Monday, May 11, 2015

Our "More Than Century Old" Piano

The old piano we have in the home province is a record of many memories for 5 generations. Serving me as the 5th generation who played as amateur, not even a piece of the skilled great-great relatives who mastered the art of music. The piano has been with the family since late 1800s as told by my grandaunt who currently lives in the old house. It has been passed by next generation to the other who has the love and mastery of playing it. I think the last person who still has the mastery of it is still our grandaunt, currently residing.

Some of us luckily had the chance to play it with enthusiasm but never acquired the high level of mastery of it. Maybe of the advent of technology that we joined and moved into web games and social media? Am not sure... but evidence shows that none of us in the current generation advanced in playing the piano instrument.



I started when I was nine year old in a school marching band. I played the keys using melodihorn, an instrument that plays the piano music when you blow it using your mouth. That is the newest cool instrument way back then. Light, mobile, and small fit enough for kids in elementary. With the help of my late grandmother Lorie, she taught me some of the old music. She has the talent of recollecting notes by simply trying to find the right keys on the melodihorn. In a few minutes, she can finish what she is looking for. She patiently taught me on how to tap the keys correctly, on how to listen attentively, differentiate the notes, and read properly.

To practice more, I've been active in the school's marching band from nine to twelve years old, just enough to graduate my primary schooling. After this, I am moving to Laoag City to attend to my secondary years and of course to be close to my grandaunt who plays well with the real piano. I was hoping I could learn their expertise, or if not, I could play a good piece.

Oh well, I did my share of learning but not that much. Some of the old students even told us that their lessons before involving high disciplinary actions, Such were if it happens that you tap the keys with incorrect hand position, an awaiting long, slender, bamboo stick will smite your hand to correct the positioning.

Fast forward to the present day when we visited our grandaunt, I asked my daughter to pose with the old piano. We do not know when will it be there.


I will always remember the grandeur of the wood, the tapping of the keys, the musical notes resounding is far greater compared to the newest piano today. The sounds that I can deeply hear and listen to, no such alike as I've heard today. When I played the piano before, it felt like there is another world, a spiritual world that sways with us, emotionally uplifting our state and savoring the sweet sound of classical musicality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Go and write up!

Do you want to spend time with people that really matter?