Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Dried Pork Dinuguan (My Grandma's Style)

Last Friday, December 16, 2011, it was my late grandmother's birthday (well, i'm not sure how old she is now). Being raised up by her and the favorite grandchild among her grandchildren :-), I had the luxury of eating first her cooking dish every time she  prepares it. Lucky also that I remembered how she cooks it without crashing my budget.

Unlike the casual dinuguan ingredient of pork stomach, intestines, or any organs, we used the solid meat and some fat instead. We usually picked the belly part.

Ingredients:
1 kilo of pork belly, cut into small cubes
1/2 kilo of pork liver, put it to blender until juiced, set aside
500 ml of fresh pork's blood
5 green chili peppers, 1 cut into small pieces and the rest mixed as whole
1 whole garlic, crushed
ginger
2 whole onions, minced
2 bay leaf
1 tbsp of cooking oil
1 cup of bread crumbs or left over bread, hand tear
salt and pepper to taste

You might wonder why there is a bread crumb...this is how my grandma add some texture on the dish.

Preparations:
  1. Heat the casserole and pour in the cooking oil.
  2. Put in the garlic and ginger, until brown or until you smell the ginger's fragrant.
  3. Add the pork cubes and cook until you see brown edges.
  4. Add in the onions, bay leaf, and the green chili peppers, stirring until onions become translucent.
  5. Salt and pepper.
  6. Pour in water to cover the meat, bring to boil and cook until the pork is very soft or tender. Make sure that the liquid is near to drying up.
  7. Add the pork blood and simmer for 5 minutes.
  8. Add the juiced liver and simmer for about 5 minutes.
  9. Add salt to taste.
  10. Then add the bread crumbs, simmer for another 3 minutes or until liquid has dried up.



After I prepared for dinner, this dish is really good and satisfying. Memories with my late beloved grandma made me cry, and I really miss her! Thanks to her that her precious dried pork dinuguan still lives in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Go and write up!

Do you want to spend time with people that really matter?