Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Kalesa Ride

A kalesa (also caritela/karitela) is a horse drawn calash used in the Philippines. It was one mode of transportation introduced to the islands in the 18th century by Spanish colonizers, and was initially reserved for only nobles and high-ranking civic officials.

Manila has still numerous kalesa ride particularly near Luneta where Dr. Jose Rizal shrine is located and Intramuros area where Fort Santiago can be found.

Some parts of the Philippines have still kalesa prevalent and use this as important mode of transportation. Vigan in Ilocos Sur still use this ride for tourism and Laoag City in Ilocos Norte have many and serves as regular transportation.



We visited Laoag City sometime April of 2011 and am very excited to take a ride immediately. I never visited this place sine 1996 during my high school years. And here we are after 15 years together with my daughter and relatives for a few days off.

We stayed in our old house where I used to live before. Gosh, nothing much has changed, but shows no life around in it anymore. Rooms are abandoned, old things still in place, and my grandaunt lives alone. As I gazed around, I saw that there are security gadgets installed, alarms, smoke detectors, camera, etc. Hmm, must been some bad people roaming and trying to enter the house.


We settled for a few hours and went to the city market to buy some food for dinner. And of course, we never forget to take a kalesa ride on our way home. There are five of us, in which two of us... well,.. plus size. So we took 2 kalesa instead :) I got so nervous hopping in, I feel I might go down or worse... tire the horse of carrying us. Hehe, gladly the kutsero (horse driver) agreed with us.

The ride is little bit bumpy but my heart is filled with joy since my daughter is very happy in her first ride. Her eyes is gleaming of earnest interest and wishful for more rides. Well, my excitement went to a sudden stop because the horse where my ride stopped also three blocks before we can reach home. I can see that the horse is panting and white saliva is drooling. I asked the kutsero if the horse cannot carry us anymore and he just nodded and smiled wide open. Haha, the horse raised its white flag! :)
We were embarrassed a little bit and decided to walk instead.

As I look in front of us, the other kalesa still moving smoothly, well two children and grandaunt is in there and the load is light. Mom and I just enjoyed the clean and green view as we walked towards the house. There are still many trees and fresh air is circulating the place. I can feel the clean and freshness of the air as I breathed heavily in my nostrils and smell the scents of wild flowers and weeds.

As we reach home, a last picture must be taken to serve a good memory of my daughter's first ride.

Grandaunt Loving, Juliet, the kutsero, and my daughter Jaha in yellow shirt


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Go and write up!

Do you want to spend time with people that really matter?