Friday, September 25, 2009

Heist Encounter

Seven thirty in the evening, I was on my way home last November 18, 2008. I packed my handbag full of stuff and got ready for a ride.

My usual way at home is riding a train and hop off at Quezon Avenue station. I went straight to hail a jeepney with a Quiapo route and settle on one of the vacant seats. I am always comfortable riding in simple public transportations as I am used to it since college days. I don't mind any type of people and stranger in a public utility vehicle. Whether they look nasty, gorgeous, fierce eyed, rugged, clean cut, whatever. My mind is always busy thinking of something else that makes sense to me.


Slowly one by one, two by two, and batch by batch, passengers hop off the jeepney as they reached their destination. After Araneta Avenue corner Quezon Avenue, there are only 6 jeepney passengers including one in front at the driver's side. The jeepney came to a halt along the Sto. Domingo church to take 3 male passengers. At first I noticed the ghastly smell of cigarette smoke and I quickly smirked silently. I scan their faces abruptly (without knowing it by myself) and noticed that they sit in separate locations. One near the driver's back, one in the middle and one beside me, near the entrance/exit of the vehicle. I also noticed their gear - wearing a cap which hides their faces and jackets which i think understandable because of the cold weather of approaching Christmas breeze. I also noticed that they are busy holding something in their pocket. One of them paid their fare destination to D. Tuazon. I quickly brushed the thought away because I am busy thinking of something else and enjoying the cool wind coming from the window.

The driver went to a gas station to refuel. The female near the driver's hop off the jeepney without hesitation ( I think she already noticed the 3 men but I am unable to) making a loud thud as she exits the vehicle. The driver is busy instructing the gasoline boy to do something on the engine. I am nearly bored to death because of the time delay of the ride.

As we approach the D. Tuazon street where the Seventh Day Adventist church stood still, one of the 3 men shouted 'para' (stop) in a loud voice and declared HOLD UP! They took out their guns which they are hiding in their pockets and took our bags. A get-away motor quickly parks beside the jeepney and shouted something that I don't understand. I saw his face - angry and fierce as if he were going to punch me. The hold upper that is in front me told me to give my bag which I hesitated for a moment. I asked him in my soft tone voice if I can get my ID and he can take the rest but he gets angrier and point the gun at me. So I gave up, so does my bag. As they declared their hold-up my mind came in an automatic prayer "Lord, don't let me be harmed"! All of the passenger's bag were taken and they rode the three of them in their get-away motor.

One of the passengers, a young man tried to retrieve his backpack. He tried to catch up as they escape to the dark low-lighted street. And we never saw him.

Back in the jeepney, we hurried to tell the driver to stop us in a police station. Most of us (the girls) were trembled after what had happened. Imagining the gun pointed straight to us, helpless and vulnerable. All I could think for the moment was my new phone in the bag. It's just one week from the date I received it and I am still going to pay for it for 2 years of holding period. Not to mention my credit cards and health cards taken in which there are corresponding fees for replacement. My pocket money, my allowance, a substantial amount to keep me going until the next payday. Not to mention the fear that inflicted to me...what a tragedy!

The police report was about one to two hours completion. We tried to scout the area with the policemen in the police car but unable to find them. Some motorist were flagged down and waited for us to recognize it. But no luck!

The incident happened between 8:15 PM to 8:30 PM. After hearing some news on TV, those hold uppers usual route is that area where it happened. We are not the first one and there are also others. At last in January 2009, after the police received many complaints regarding this operation with the same report as ours, they actually tried solving it. I just heard from the news that same description and operation, those 4 hold uppers including their motor driver were killed in a shoot out operation.

Well, I guess we never know if they are really them because they operate in group as I heard from other people. Some commented that the bad men were under the police jurisdiction.

Well, i will never know. Just a bad trauma is what I gathered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Go and write up!

Do you want to spend time with people that really matter?