Friday, December 11, 2009

Living Below Your Means

There are times that people criticize a person of how he carries himself. The way he dress, the noticeable physical appearance, they check your shoes, your clip, your hair, the pants, your feet, and especially if wearing average clothes unlike those prestigious branded get up that the critic is used to. If they get a chance to peek under your clothes, they might as well check the brand of your underwear and brassiere.

I was once a critic as I used to be because I practically inherited it from my half-blood Spanish grandmother who was really has something to boast for. She came from a well-off family but went to live to middle class because of folks constraints.

The criticism she conveyed was not to degrade the person but act of helping the other improve itself overtime. A gratification that I watched on my toddler years and inevitably carried it to my teens.


But, since we’re just on middle class life style, I also experienced some difficulties in getting what I want. I was really spoiled by my grandma, I am. We never get hungry, got my exclusive dolls, my fave books, incredible toys, my clothes were excellent quality, and most came from abroad where my grandmother’s peers and kin’s were fondly sending us presents and sporadically buying us good stuffs. That’s what we called close relationship building with even with extended families.

When I became an adult, I learned the importance of money, relationships, goal, and time. I don’t reprimand anymore as I used to be because I experienced the emotion of being criticized by more egocentric persons.

I have become focused on my goal that I remove unnecessary things and blings on myself. Practically, I lived below my means. Even when I get a hold of my salary, I tried to put it to something more important for growth, investment, and development. 

I tried really hard to control my self of the indulgences I was used to. I have tried exploration for sale of bits and pieces. I buy shoes or slippers to fit my daily practical lifestyle without pilfering a hole in my pocket. I remembered having so much garments and shoes that you don’t need to sluice them every week. I can actually wear without washing any for months and yet I gave up that life!

I have my own ambitions and goals that were already established and solidified. I didn’t buy car, instead, I commute. I set aside all my luxurious possessions. I gave them to the deprived, to charitable trust, and to minster. I live as a common person, a regular person who meets the ‘needs’ and not thrive with ‘wants’. Even if someone already noticed that I have a week unvarying clothes, two or three shoes substitution from time to time, bag is fresh when the old is worn out, and etc. Why the fuss? The upheaval wont do anything better for me. Focusing on my end game is much vital that the ruckus from everybody which brings no good at the later part.

It’s not the most important fad in my life right now. Necessitate is different from desire and I have to be a cheapskate if necessary just to reach my successful shots. And most, they don’t know what I comprise in hoard.

Whenever somebody gaze at me from head to toe and saw a dissatisfaction grimace… I don’t care. With something in my inner being that hunt for the most significant things in my life, I just smiled and say HI!

1 comment:

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Go and write up!

Do you want to spend time with people that really matter?